Tuesday 7 May 2013

GamesYouLoved - Interview with Stu Rankin, 'Pro-Harrier'

Space Harrier is up in the upper echelons of arcade gaming history.

Eye-bleedingly colourful, insanely fast Space Harrier takes you into a striking surreal dimension where you run at break neck speed, defy gravity at will, and blast at dragons, mechs and one-eyed woolly mammoths. Unlike the standard side or vertical scrollers of the time, Space Harrier's one of the first ‘into the screen’ games alongside the likes of Hang-On, OutRun and Afterburner.

It’s widely regarded as a technical milestone for gaming, using Sega’s legendary ‘System 16’ Arcade board and ‘Super-Scaler’ technology, handling more sprites and colours than anything else in the arcade at the time and its game dynamics have paved the way for countless other 3-D style and 3rd person shooters. Space Harrier is a classic.

It’s no wonder then that Space Harrier has such a large fanatical following with many keen to collect its various incarnations from arcade cabs through to modern releases for current consoles. There are a few though who should be regarded as super-fans.

These are the warriors of gaming that will not rest until they’ve mastered the game in all its forms. Dedicated to stepping into the ‘Fantasy Zone’ to thwart the armies of the demon Absymbel, ‘good and proper’, they are the battlers, the high scorers, the ‘pro-harriers’. Following a superb article submission GamesYouLoved were lucky enough to speak to one such ‘Pro-Harrier’, Stu Rankin, who holds the score record for Space Harrier on not just one, but 4  platforms and has a dedicated Space Harrier cab. GamesYouLoved collar Stu at a Retro Games Party event in April and we’ve just watched him nail a mini sit-down cab of Space Harrier twice in a row, making it look like a stroll in the park.

Space Harrier certainly isn’t that though. It takes the sort of skill and knowledge of the game’s dynamics that requires practice and is typical of old arcade games. We grab a beer and take the opportunity to ask him about his thoughts on what makes Space Harrier his favourite game, how he got so good, as well as gauging his thoughts about gaming in general:

GamesYouLoved
Space Harrier’s certainly considered a classic. What do you think sets it apart from other similar games?

Stu
The speed. It kind of gives you an adrenaline buzz, especially when things pick up in the later levels. When you've mastered it there's a feeling of accomplishment because it takes some skill. It’s not a case of just blasting wildly, you need to learn it and use the right tactics in order to get through.

GamesYouLoved
Would you say there is a certain pace or rhythm to it?

Stu
There are certain patterns, certainly- like learning the enemy movements and where certain enemies come up. From level 7 onwards the pace really picks up

GamesYouLoved
And there's 18 Levels so that's before halfway?

Stu
Yeah, it soon gets frantic. I have good days and bad days though. Depending on whether I can get into that groove or not- some days I might not even get past level 4! Even though Ive held 4 titles on Twin Galaxies, some days I can still really suck.

It IS a difficult game. GamesYouLoved I guess that's what makes those titles quite an accolade in gaming terms. There are other similar games such as After Burner.

GamesYouLoved
How different is Space Harrier to other games?

Stu
I’ve never been great at the System 16 racing games like Outrun or Hang On. I enjoy After Burner and I guess it is similar, but even though it’s a technically more complex game with weapon 'lock-ons', I think that can be a bit of a distraction and can actually do a lot of the work for you. With Space Harrier, you’ve got to point and shoot, although there is actually a slight lock-on in Space Harrier which people may not be aware of. As you aim for enemies you get a brief opportunity to lock-on. A lock-on is indicated with a chime or 'chip' sound, which you need to listen out for. This allows you to fire and keep moving and if you get it right, your shot will get enemies you've locked on to. With the right timing you can take down multiple enemies with one shot each. You can hear it *does the sound* 'chip-chip-chip'. Understanding this is quite important especially in the later levels.

GamesYouLoved
Space Harrier's been ported to pretty much most home platforms. Which is your favourite?

Stu
Sega Saturn. That was the first version I got where it looked pretty much arcade perfect. Up until then I'd had the Amstrad and Mega Drive versions, and for me the Amstrad version is probably as far removed from the arcade as you can get. I mean- it’s not even got all the enemies in it!

GamesYouLoved 
People cite the Master System as a notable version- from a technical achievement point of view.

Stu
Yeah, definitely I'd agree with that. It’s like a different game though. Some actually prefer the way the sprites are drawn than those in the arcade, but you've obviously got quite bad colour blocking issues. I'm not very good at that version though- so I'm not a fan. That’s cus of the speed- it’s quite difficult because it so slow.

GamesYouLoved 
Do they vary in terms of difficulty?

Stu
They've all got their own quirks and bugs, you have to learn the different mechanics and all that so, yeah they can vary quite a bit, especially in terms of speed. On the Dreamcast I got Shenmue purely so I could play Space Harrier. I'd heard it was available to play in the 'You Arcade' in the game itself. It took me 2 weeks before I figured out how to get to the 'You Arcade'. When I finally found it I spent a load of time just playing there. Anyway, I didn't even realise that with the Shenmue Passport you could go online. So I did. Just to have a look and sure enough- there I was; no.1 in Europe- for Space Harrier- I thought 'wow!'. But that was at the 50Hz setting, so I reset the game to play at 60Hz. The 10Hz made all the difference in speed. It was almost like a different game, and at that time I'd not really played the arcade version much, so I wasn't actually used to it. The difference there was that I was only no.3 worldwide, so had to keep practicing...

GamesYouLoved 
How long on average does it take for you to complete?

Stu
It’s not a huge game, maybe 20 minutes? Well, it depends which version but the Saturn and Arcade versions are roughly the same. It all depends on how you choose to play the game, because some of the bosses will be there until you destroy them, like Squilla or Salpedon (both dragon type bosses). Other enemies like the robots (called 'Dom') there's just a time limit on them, they'll come then go again so you just need to avoid their shots and survive. You could spend half an hour just 'Squilla dancing', as I call it, just dodging rather than straight out attacking- but that's a slow way to rack up points- you'd be there all night- but it is possible.

GamesYouLoved
So there's no record speed time?

Stu
Not that I know of, but that's not the point. It’s about high scoring.

GamesYouLoved
Space Harrier's a hard game. Having mastered it, are there any tips or tricks you could give to a novice like me that would make my pound coin go further? Are there any secrets?

Stu
Memorise the enemy locations, where they appear and what order. Don't stay still. Definitely don't back-track your movement- if you do, nine times out of ten you'll get hit. I’ve not found any real glitches or bugs to exploit. It’s pretty robust, but why cheat? Thing is, I got my Saturn in around '97 and I was playing it a lot. I might just be paranoid here, but and I noticed that if, for example, you play through to level 10 and you then make your first mistake and die, you can guarantee you'll lose another 2 or 3 lives in quick succession after that in the space of like- 5 minutes. Almost as if the game learns your style. I dunno if that's how it was programmed or I'm just being paranoid, it’s almost like if you hit a tree once- it'll definitely happen again straight away. I dunno if that's the programming or it’s just psychological. If you watch the guy 'Jodo' (current arcade world champion), he's got a video on You Tube that he's also submitted to Twin Galaxies and you can notice slight nuances with how he plays. Everyone's got their own quirks in play, but in terms of general advice, think about moving in a three dimensional plane- covering the screen in a sort of corkscrew or spiral motion with the flight stick. But practice obviously. If you really want to get good my advice is get a Saturn or better still; access to the original arcade cab and just keep playing.

GamesYouLoved 
You know the game inside out. What enemies are the hardest to beat?

Stu
Level 2- 'Ida' (the flying heads). The boss Barbarian in the middle surrounded by the Ida flying heads. Simply because they appear to move randomly. Hit one and they'll expand out almost certainly hitting you then they retract. The trick for maximum points is to try and destroy all the Ida heads before you take out Barbarian. The lock-on feature can also work against you here, you will usually find yourself locking onto and firing at the wrong thing. If you destroy Barbarian before taking out the Ida heads, they will increase their spin rate and it gets very tricky to dodge em. This is where a lot of people die. 

GamesYouLoved
What's with those one eyed Woolly Mammoths? What are they called?

Stu
(laughs) Erm- just 'Mammoths'. I actually feel a bit sorry for them- I try not to hit them. They're just collateral damage (we both laugh). Migrating Mammoths- wrong place, wrong time... with one eye... Unlucky!

GamesYouLoved
You have been telling us about reminiscing around theme of the old arcades and mention Ikari Warriors, Galaxian and Pac Man. Have you mastered any of these?

Stu
Not really. I love those games but I was 2nd year at high school when I remember going to an arcade on a particular holiday. I was used to playing games like Ikari Warriors on the home computer systems. I remember being with my grandparents and we found this place- I think it was called Brunswick?.. anyway it was like a cafe, and the magic there was that they sold cups of tea and coffee for like 5 pence- so they'd happily sit and have a cuppa while I'd go off looking at the games like. Really in those days - I was looking for the Star Wars cabinet, obviously. That was THE one. Sitting there, chuck a couple of credits in and there's Alec f*ckin Guiness behind you saying 'the force'll be with you'. Goosebumps! So, when walking down the prom in Blackpool- past the central piers and the other arcades- you'd keep hearing these sound effects, 'ahhhh' and 'Get Ready'- and I'd think 'what the hell IS that?' so I'd wander over to investigate. I see the name 'Space Harrier' and I'm into sci-fi, but at first I didn’t actually like it. It seemed almost too random. I'd think 'why's there a little guy running with a big gun, when it says Space Harrier', what's all that about?

GamesYouLoved
Other than the accolades on the Twin Galaxies site, are there any other bits of recognition you’re proud of?

Stu
That's it really. I love retro games. I love Sega. Who knows- it depends. I'm more of a collector now so I'm just happy building my collection. My real goal, like many retro gaming fans, is to get a Star Wars cabinet just for total nostalgia. 

GamesYouLoved
What are your thoughts on the more recent arcade follow-up to Space Harrier, Planet Harriers?

Stu
Looks cheesy as hell, but I’ve never seen it in an arcade so never had the chance to play it. From what I’ve seen online- the gameplay looks slower. It looks like your character's even more rail-roaded. It looks as though it does a lot for you. I could be wrong.

GamesYouLoved
If you could meet Sega’s AM2 team and Yu Suzuki, what would you ask them?

Stu
Could they acquire the rights back to make a new game? Sega owns it. The developers would just hand it all over and it’s a shame.

GamesYouLoved
Do you have any current gen consoles?

Stu
Nope

GamesYouLoved
What do you play now?

Stu
My Saturn. I do have a second hand PS2 which I got for Gradius 5. I like those games- Salamandar, Nemesis- although I'm not great at em. Gradius 2: Vulcan Venture, 'shoot it in the head' little quotes like that come to mind. I like stuff like that. I ended up getting the 3D Ages version of Space Harrier as well. Its ok- but again it’s a different game really. You've got some fancier weapons like lock-on lasers and flash bombs. They're good for a laugh, but as a purist player- I'd rather not use them. They just destroy everything- including land based objects you wouldn't usually be able to destroy. And generally it feels like a slower game. This is the thing with older games. They require perseverance to get the most out of them.

GamesYouLoved
You currently run Squillas Lair- a yahoo group for Space Harrier fans as well as a Squilla Facebook page. How are they doing?

Stu
It’s a bit of a niche thing so I wouldn’t say they’re massively popular but there's people out there who are like me and into it, so it’s good to interact a bit. The current arcade champion Phil Campbell who's also on Twin Galaxies, pops in every now and then even though he's not officially a member. He's obviously keeping an eye on me. I just keep kiddin him on, I keep sayin to him- 'you just keep watching your rear view mirror mate'. One day.


Interview at Retro Games Party - April 2013



GamesYouloved would like to thank, Stu Rankin, World Record Holder for Space Harrier for this EXCLUSIVE interview

Stu runs his own dedicated Space Harrier Page here:

Facebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.